Chiropractic Care for Babies
Last week we talked about the importance of chiropractic care for teens. Teenagers go through so much physical stress, it is always a great idea to get them adjusted. But what about babies? Even before walking, there are many reasons for babies to be adjusted by a chiropractor.
Understanding Chiropractic Care for Babies
Before talking about the benefits of chiropractic care for babies, it is important to note that the way babies are adjusted is fairly different. Babies do not require a lot of force or pressure to adjust. The pressure placed to adjust your baby is no more than the amount of pressure used to check the ripeness of a tomato. This pressure is significant enough to correct a babies subluxation.
Another form of adjusting for babies is with the Activator. This is a hand-held tool used to deliver a light and gentle adjustment. These types of adjustments are not only incredibly safe, but highly effective.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Babies
Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Colic- The first few months of your baby being out in the world can be challenging, especially if your baby is experiencing colic. Colic is when the baby is crying for more than 3 hours in a day and parents are unable to soothe the baby. Oftentimes, the reason for this is a stressed out nervous system! This can be caused by a number of reasons, including a long or difficult delivery.
- Improved sleep- Your baby is growing so fast, they need sleep to properly do so! Difficultly sleeping is found in infants, toddlers, or young kiddos. Adjustments can calm down the nervous system, allowing them to fall asleep faster and deeper.
- Digestion- This includes everything from constipation, diarrhea, or even acid reflux! Oftentimes, babies experience digestion discomfort due to that nervous system being stressed out. Adjustments to the mid back and sacrum can remove any nerve interference, allowing the GI system to function at its best.
- Nursing- Babies can have trouble nursing for may reasons. Whether it is difficulty latching, or torticollis (aka head only wanting to turn in one direction), tension in the neck and/or upper back is a common culprit. Chiropractic care can improve the mobility in baby’s neck, allowing for an easier latch and nurse.
- Reaching developmental milestones- In some cases, milestones may be hindered due to a stressed out nervous system. While it is important to remember that every baby will reason their milestone at their own time, adjustments can remove the interference, allowing them to reach said milestone when they are ready.
Did you just have a baby? Congratulations!! Dr.’s Jaci and Amanda are both trained and have experience in treating little ones with gentle, yet specific adjustments. Call today to schedule an appointment!